Thursday, May 3, 2012

Judging a book by it's cover!

I am now 7 weeks  post-op.  In this SHORT, yes I said SHORT, amount of time, it has dawned on me that no matter what my physical ordeal/condition, if I choose to look my best and put on a smile, people will assume that having a double mastectomy was NOTHING, yes, "no big deal."  Right???

WRONG! Yes, i have chosen to "look on the bright side," "stiff upper lip," etc. BUT, let me clearly state that it was not "nothing" or "no big deal" and I am not exactly "fine."  I choose to portray that, because, really, what's the alternative?! Wallow in self-pity? That isn't very productive. That is not the way I want to spend the rest off my precious days - which hopefully I've prolonged!

I guess what I'm saying is, "I(we who've been through this) don't exactly want your pitty, but please remember that I've been through a VERY BIG, life-altering event, which warrants a little understanding and kindness from those who care about me...EVEN IF I APPEAR FINE!
Please think about that while you are helping me work through this, and, yes, it is FINE to
LAUGH ABOUT IT, along the way.  Humor heals. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment